Friday, July 9, 2010

On Writing...

Yesterday evening, I read the first three chapters of the"Old Woman Book" to Hector who just turned fourteen and his brother, Diego who is ten years old. Steve, my partner and I are members of the Partnership Scholars. A program for bright low-income kids. We are Hector's mentors.

The boys seemed engrossed in the story and wanted to know what happened next. That was a big relief. But more important to me was Hector's comments on language. He said that he liked not always knowing what some of words in the story meant since it helped him to increase his vocabulary. That was a relief, since I hate the idea of dumbing down.

So the evening was a success, especially because the pizza that Steve made from scratch for us was as much appreciated as my reading.

I want to thank you, Molly, for including me in your writing group. I appreciate your insight, obvious command of your craft and the careful time you take with each of us. Also thank you my fellow aspirants, your thoughtful comments have been most valuable, and your care for your fellow group members' fragile egos much valued.

As to our first assignment:
I finished reading "Brunelleschi's Dome" by Ross King recently, after returning from Italy. If you ever gazed at the amazing dome of the Cathedral that so dominates the Florentine landscape and wonder how they managed to build it, then this will answer your questions. It is the story of how Brunelleschi designed and executed an extraordinary feat of engineering. He also designed the machinery that lifted tons of marble and brick hundreds of feet into the air six hundred years ago without the help of all the calculating tools we now rely upon. King explains complex processes so that they are easy to understand. He also describs the politics, finances and intrigue of those incredible years when Florence was at the epicenter of the high Renaissance. I was fascinated.

I also read Ross King's "Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling." Also a fascinating book. It's interesting how alike in character and genius the two men were.

Quote on writing:
Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. ~Anton Chekhov


1 comment:

  1. Hi Orah,

    Thank you so much for writing. What a great story about the young man your working with. That's exciting to hear, even for adult writers. I'm very happy to have you in the group and look forward not only to the rest of your tale, but to your memoir as well.

    Molly

    ReplyDelete