Friday, July 16, 2010

The Golden Rule

First of all - Thanks Molly for these clear guidelines for constructive criticism. They're excellent.
It seems that we have a unique opportunity, with this group, to become better critics together, while becoming better writers at the same time. I find it exciting, in a slightly scary way. I feel
fortunate to have Molly, as our skipper and to have a skillful, literate crew on board. From the outset it has been my intention to offer criticism, as I would best be able to receive it. I'm afraid that I may have woefully missed the mark, on occasion. Know that I will do better, because I am
committed to do so. You are all helping me inestimably. Thank-you.
AG

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alena,

    What was I going to say? I already can't remember. I just wanted to add something to the message I'd already left, which of course you can't do. I said, thanks. I'm glad this is working for you and look, you're typing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Giving good critique is a learned skill, an art." What wise words for us all. I know that the first time I read in front of our group, I was terrified. I cannot tell you how vulnerable I felt, how afraid to be judged totally lacking in writing ability. I discovered, through you, that that is not what a critique group is about. It is not about judging or about editing. It is about recognizing our common goal; to be better writers. To appreciate that apt turn of phrase, that perfectly descriptive word in the other person's writing and to communicate it to the writer. To learn, to listen and to foster a generosity of spirit among ourselves to help each other reach our personal goals. As always, thanks Molly for keeping us focused on the important stuff.

    ReplyDelete